Just because you’re over 50 doesn’t mean you can’t be stylish too! We picked 5 wardrobe essentials that will help you to look current, cool, and confident! Just a few guidelines to great style for women over 50.
Our bodies and lifestyles have changed over the decades, however, we don’t have to sacrifice our style because of it. So forget the rules! Here is a list of go-to pieces for women who want to fight the frump and look smart, energetic, youthful and appropriate. You can wear these basics to work, out to dinner and anywhere else:
1. Dark denim, mid-rise, straight-leg, slim or boot-cut jeans
Pair with flat ballet slippers, moccasins, loafers or kitten heels, or tuck them into tall boots in cooler weather. The boot-cut hem leaves room for booties (a footwear option for almost every occasion)
TIP: Straight-leg jeans go perfectly with longer jackets or tunic tops. Make sure the jeans fit well (with a little stretch) in butt and hips. Take the waist in, if necessary.
2. White jeans (boot-cut or straight-leg)
In warmer weather, wear with wedge sandals and tunic tops or a crisp navy jacket and white tank. When it gets cooler, pair with brown or black boots and a sweater or jacket, and a pretty scarf.
TIP: Be sure to wear underwear that matches your skin color with any white pant.
3. Great-fitting pants
Look for a lightweight wool blend (wool/Lycra is best) in black, charcoal or navy. The cut of the pants is crucial and the length must be exact. Take your shoes to the store (and the pants to the tailor, if necessary) to get a perfect fit.
TIP: Wear with a silky blouse, structured button-up, a T-shirt or a tank with a cardigan, jacket or vest. We have pants made by Theory, Tahari, and others in prices starting at around $69.
These are a year-round fashion accessory and the best way to cover up arms that are less than toned. Look for long and three-quarter-length sleeves that hit you at or above the hip. Longer cardigans are great with straight-leg jeans or pants, but not with skirts. We have some of the best and coziest cardigans in every imaginable color, in prices starting at $59.99.
TIP: Get a size or two smaller than usual or you’ll end up with a “Mumsy” sweater, which can look frumpy. The sweater’s fit should be snug, and never wear it closed: The point is to cover your arms and add color to your outfit.
Dresses make everyone feel pretty and sexy, and there are three styles that flatter women over 50 best, no matter our size or shape:
- Wrap dresses, especially those with long or three-quarter-length sleeves — knot the belt on the side, never in front, and do not tie it in a bow.
- Sleeveless sheath dresses worn with snug-fitting cardigans or jackets, which are perfect for almost any occasion.
- “Fit and flare” dresses that are fitted on top and flare out slightly starting at the waist, creating a flirty, swingy look.
- Jewel colors look good on all skin tones; keep length at the knee.
TIP: Have at least one perfectly fitting LBD (little black dress) in any of these styles, which can be dressed up or down. We carry great-fitting dresses at all price points.
You can mix and match all these pieces, depending on the occasion, for different looks – a smart wardrobe. Add a few key accessories — a statement necklace (chunky, worn close to the neckline), colorful scarf, cuff bracelet, perfect shoes and beautiful bag (clutch for evenings and classic black leather over-the-shoulder for day) — and you’re ready to go.
MODA Style Tips (for any age)
- Get a good tailor. Clothes look best when they fit well
- Define your waist, no matter how big or small
- Keep your skirt and dress lengths to the knee
- Don’t show too much skin: too-short skirts and tops that are too low don’t flatter anyone
- Keep it simple; stay away from bling
- Buy bras that really fit, and consider “shapewear” when needed